5 COOL PLACES TO GO TO DURING THE HOLY WEEK
Somewhere cold this long weekend, yes?
By AC Guevarra
April 17, 2019
The remaining days of the Lenten Season is a time for us to reflect and have a long break from our busy schedules. And with the intense heat of the sun expected to linger until June, we might as well spend this time somewhere cold and far away from the concrete jungle. If you are planning to spend Holy Week away from home, we suggest these places where you can literally cool off.
1. Batanes - This place seems to be in the bucket list of many travelers because of its unique beauty, calmness, and popularity. If you're planning to go on a solo travel, Batanes is a recommended destination because of its almost zero crime rate, affordable cost of living, and soothing weather. Flights to this province might be limited, but they are definitely worth it.
2. Sagada - Much has been said about the movie that catapulted this municipality to fame, but with the scorching weather in the metro, Sagada's 10-degree climate should be more than enough to entice you for a visit. There will be plenty of hiking and caving for adventure seekers, while history lovers will have a grand time immersing themselves in authentic Filipino culture and traditions. A trip will never be complete without seeing The Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Sumaguing Cave, and Marlboro Hills.
3. Baguio - As we all know, the city is known as the Summer Capital of the Philippines. There are many tourist spots such as the Burnham Park, Mines View Park, and Camp John Hay. With its good climate, the city is home to some of the country's freshest produce like vegetables and fruits like its famous strawberries. Don't forget to buy pasalubong from The Good Shepherd store and the Night Market.
4. Tagaytay - Tagaytay is easily the go-to place for city-dwellers who want a combination of scenic views, cool weather, and a warm bowl of bulalo. It has also become a must-see destination every Holy Week because of the churches that attract day trippers for Visita Iglesia such as the Pink Sister Convent and Our Lady of Lourdes Church.
5. Bukidnon - Not everyone is aware that this province in Mindanao has been blessed with a relaxing cool climate. It may be far compared to the more popular summer destinations in the country, but just imagine the new opportunities for sightseeing and camping that travelers can experience. For starters, visitors can check out the Dahilayan Forest Park and the Monastery of the Transfiguration this Holy Week.